Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What I'm Working On

As a writer-for-hire, I don't always love the topics I'm assigned. But the truth is, usually I do love them and even if it doesn't start out that way, I get interested once I begin researching a subject. There's more freedom than many people think in work-for-hire freelancing. While I don't choose my subjects out of thin air (or my imagination), I do get a choice of several titles each time an editor approaches me. When there's a list, I can always find something that interests me.

So this week, I happen to be working on a book I find fascinating - it's a biography about a Texas cowgirl who lived back in the 1800s.  I don't want to give away her name, just in case I'm not supposed to before publication. But this woman rocks! I love learning about historic figures like this woman, a person I don't think everyone knows much about (especially considering the conflicting reports I'm getting from my sources).  It's fun finding out about her and straightening out the facts to give her the respect she's due.

Freelancers can't just work on one project at a time, though! I also have some emails out to editors who will hopefully be making assignments soon. And most exciting to me, my book is with an agent right now. I'm really looking forward to hearing back from her, since it's a second read with revisions I made based on her comments and suggestions. Here's hoping she likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment