Friday, July 29, 2011

Aaaaahhh! Revisions!!

I've been emailing an editor, waiting for revisions, and she responded today. My first reaction: I sort of wish I hadn't asked!

I always feel this way when revisions come back to me. I have this initial sense that the revisions are too difficult somehow. There's too much to do or the editor's questions are questions that seem impossible to answer.

This is where I used to go wrong. I'd jump right in, or maybe email the editor back right away.

I hope those editors didn't sense my panic. Because the feeling goes away. It dissapates if you just wait a few days. Whenever I reread an editor's comments after taking that time, I discover the work I'm facing isn't so involved after all. It's manageable. It's just a matter of breaking it down and addressing each comment one by one.

This is a lesson I've learned over the years, yet for some strange reason, I always have to suffer through that moment of panic anyway. Maybe I'll get over that part of it... someday!

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed reading your post. Great blog with good information. Thank you for sharing. All best wishes for continued success.

    Linda Della Donna
    Author of
    "A Gift of Love, A Widow's Memoir"
    www.Griefcase.net

    ReplyDelete